Suspension Setting on a 1199R

+ Reply to Thread

Suspension Setting on a 1199R

Not sure if posting my setting will help anyone here, but at least it will be a starting place.

This is off a 1199R which I found to be very hard on the first ride, this is me geared up at around 240 lbs

I was shocked to see how hard it was actually sprung, as I usually order springs. And being a clydesdale, I was shocked that I actually came off the preload, as I usually add preload on stock springs to see if I can get the sag in the range I want.

Flat link
    Sag (total)

Front Sag 38mm (11 off from full on)
    Rear sag 32-34 (dropped three full revs)

Front C 13
    Front R 16

Rear C 17
    Rear R 18

I am by now means blowing through my suspension, and on the front getting on it hard, as well as breaking hard and having a full stopies just to see how the bike handles with ABS, I have about 1/2" left.

The bike tracks amazingly well now, with good feedback on both front and back. Rear leaned over I am to the edge, and the front I see wear down to about 1 cm. That being said, I'm not purposefully putting a knee down, just going over the same corners over and over and over on a 2-3 miles run with mid speed S curves, high speed sweepers, and very sharp turns. All of which I can take either a inside line, or move out just a tad and have ripple in the pavement. I usually do this short run both directions to judge changes in suspension and usually do it about 10-15 times in a session. After about 300 miles, I think I am very happy with the settings that I have.

One note, the rear uses a new spanner wrench (smaller) than my previous Ohlins.
    2013 1199R
    2012 SFS
    2003 R6
    2002 Monster 600
    2001 Monster S4

2. Remove Advertisements
    Ducati Panigale Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by padronanniversary View Post

I am by now means blowing through my suspension, and on the front getting on it hard, as well as breaking hard and having a full stopies just to see how the bike handles with ABS, I have about 1/2" left.
    Curious to know how you know you have 1/2" left?

When I lift the front wheel off the ground the gap between the top of the fork footing and the bottom of the wiper seal measures 112.25 mm. (Which is curious because Ducatis web sit quotes 120mm of travel so either these have a stron top out spring or the Ducati web sit is wrong or I can't use verniers!)

It is unlikely that the wiper seal will touch the top of the fork legs when these forks are fully compressed, so measuring the height of a cable tie above the top of the for foot does not tell you how much suspension travel you have left.

For comparative interest sake here are the figures I measured.

Rider 80kg (without gear)

Front
    Rider sag 29.25
    Riderless sag (free sag) 24.75

Rear
    Rider sag 30.17mm
    Riderless sag (free sag) 15 mm ( apparently these shocks have an aggressive top out spring)
    Last edited by FastBikeGear; 01-30-2014 at 02:45 PM.

What is your front and rear C&R settings? And for us Americans how much is 80kg I weigh 150

5. Remove Advertisements
    Ducati Panigale Forum
    Advertisements

Conversion factor is 2.2: 2.2 * 80 = 176 lbs. You would be 150/2.2 or 68 kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy1199 View Post
    What is your front and rear C&R settings? And for us Americans how much is 80kg I weigh 150
    I never try to compare C&R damping settings between riders as we all ride differently on different roads and have different preferences. Consequently I encourage riders to use a process for optimising their own settings. Have a look at the following link.

http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/index....9dd37ef3f2ee04
    Last edited by FastBikeGear; 04-28-2015 at 12:14 AM.

+1 This is good advice.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Ducati Panigale Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.