Set-up Question

+ Reply to Thread

Set-up Question

Hi Guys.
    It looks like I'm in the market. I've currently got a 2011 SFS but am also going to get a sport bike. I've got a few months before the cash is there to purchase, and really I was thinking maybe Pani 899S. So anyway I went to Pro Italia today to start getting info. They have a Pearl White S and an R. The R is awesome but I'm not getting that. So I rolled out the S into some open space and took a seat. After getting on and off a few times, just checking it all out, I realized it was just fine and needed very little adjustment to fit me. It fit surprisingly well. EXCEPT that the suspension did not move AT ALL. (And the seat was totally hard) I weigh 165lbs. Okay, I do know the Pani has high level suspension, and I figured that it was very adjustable. Cool. I may just spring for the 1199S. THEN across the aisle they have an Aprilia R and APRC. I went and sat on the APRC. The suspension sank about an inch, like butter, and as I moved around on the bike to adjust my feet or lean into a tuck, the suspension moved with me. Light, lively as I rocked front to back, supple yet quick to rebound. Holy cow. That first inch or two was like floating on air. Now the APRC ergos were not as good for me so I prefer the 1199S for that reason too, but I have NEVER sat on suspension like that, and could immediately tell it would be awesome to ride. The last piece of this puzzle is that it took a while for my SFS suspension to loosen up.

So my question is, from the get go, can the Pani 1199S suspension be softened up and made very supple and lively like that APRC or is there a break in period, or is it just designed to be stiffer in the set-up?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Ducati Panigale Forum
    Advertisements

heres the thing about suspension. what are your plans as to how you plan on riding.. honestly I don't think a bike should sink an inch when you sit on it. that to me is too soft. (im a track rider were suspension is stiff for better performance) when you sit on a bike you should get 1/4-1/2 inch sink at most pull the bike up and sit like your at a stop light. grab the front brakes and bounce on the front end and pull it back see how it reacts.. to soft it will bounce hard and almost feel sluggish.. nice tight suspension will rebought quick and firm. that being said the RSV4 is an amazing bike. and the suspension is very good too

Are you going to sit on the bike in your house and watch TV? No- so sitting on a bike to determine suspension is not practical. You need to ride a bike and make adjustments to suspension. No way you should judge suspension sitting in a showroom. Maybe the Aprilia is best for you- but only a ride can tell.

The Panigale is stiff for me (185 lbs) but super predictable on the street and I enjoy riding it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Ducati Panigale Forum
    Advertisements

I have a SFS and also a 1199r. The R definayy turns in sharper and with the flat link is predictable.
    I believe it does everything ride wise better than the SFS, minus the low end torque.
    Setting wise with the DES just pull over and change, real easy to play with numbers to get it tuned in. The SFS I was constantly getting off, fumbling with the hex wrench, taking notes, etc.

Just set up your sag then start riding. At least the R was spring hard, and for my weight 225lbs on the front I had to decrease the preload as well as a few turns on the rear spring as well. I was happy I did not have to reapring.

Congrats on he new 1199
    2013 1199R
    2012 SFS
    2003 R6
    2002 Monster 600
    2001 Monster S4

I have both an 1199R and a base model 1199. After feeling the setup on the R, and how it turns in so much quicker, and holds line much better, I set about to try and make the base model do similar. I dropped the front end of the base model by 7mm, to match the ride height of the R, added some preload and damping, and now it handles very similar. It's still not 100% as good, but closer, and now feels like a proper weapon on the road. Much quicker edge to edge, and less of a feeling of transition when getting it tipped in.

Point is, if you own a base model, definitely raise your forks up!! The steering will become very netural, and the feeling of vagueness from the front goes away. It will tip in quicker, but not fall in when you let off the brakes. I like the feeling of having the bike set up like a 250, where you can run the twisties almost without brakes, and make mid-corner adjustments. The way it was set up stock, you felt like you coudn't carry corner speed, and it was sluggish to turn in.

Oh, also going to the 41T rear sprocket makes a good improvement all around.

I agreed what is said above!!!
    I too have modified the sport mode and use this the most, I put it in wet method to heated the bike up originally and obviously when it is wet. I have put sport mode to 195Hi and put the revocation to reflection what it is in wet method.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Ducati Panigale Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.