Bluetooth earpieces for helmets?
+ Reply to Thread

Bluetooth earpieces for helmets?

Im the type of guy that I like to be connected to everyone all the time even when Im riding. So Im wondering if anyone here uses bluetooth earpieces for their helmets? If you can give a short review on how good or bad it is. I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Ducati Panigale Forum
    Advertisements

I have Scala Rider G4 and I frequently use it to accept incoming phone calls when riding at slow speeds. At highway speeds, there is too much wind noise and distraction. It pairs with upto two more units, so if you are riding with your pack, you'll be connected to at least two more people. Works upto a range of 1 mile, although I have tested it only upto a quarter mile. I also sometimes play music on my phone and stream it with Scala, the quality is reasonable, but not as good as a dedicated in-ear earphone. The software of the unit is upgradable.

The G4 was recently discontinued and Scala has announced their latest headset - the G9, which will be available in May.
    2013 MV Agusta F3 (available for sale)
    2010 BMW S1000RR (track only)

Well looking online I was able to find some really interesting headsets. Theres even ones that use lazers so that theres no wind noise or any other interference you might get on the road when riding. But I'll definitely take a look at the G9.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Ducati Panigale Forum
    Advertisements

Im not a huge fan of them if i ever need to make a call i would just pull over or pull into a lot or somewhere and just take the call.

ive used a few of these but only to comunicate with the rest of my crew while were riding.

Wow.. this is very nice... It's very useful on communication.... easy to talk and its best...

Heard today that G9 is delayed until June-July.

Here is my personal review of the Sena SMH10 Dual System I just tried this weekend:

So I installed the Sena in my helmet yesterday and must say had a tough time doing that correctly. Once on I synced it up to my cell phone which went smooth enough, desoute the manual saying you can BT it using Headset or Hands Free - I never saw these choices at all.
    Tried it out in my living room with both making a call and listening to music via BT on Android phone. Both of these worked ok and were clear. Also hooked it to Ipod using the included wire and it also sounded pretty decent there too. Now the true test!

Went outside and got it all synced up and told my wife to call me on it. While driving I clearly heard the incoming call beep and pushed the take call button on the back. At low speed she said she could hear me fine and couldnt even hear the sound of pipes or engine AT ALL which i thought was wild. As I picked up speeds I began to have a hard time hearing her unless she spoke up loud- and even at 70 he said she couldn't even tell I was on a bike, hearing no engine, wind, or exhaust sounds. Thumbs up there!

After the call I went into music mode and must say I had a difficult time hearing the music even when both cell and Sena were cranked all the way up. Def not great quality stereo sound at all which pissed me off. I also tried using the cellular GPS function which is an audible turn by turn voice system which totally faded out under engine and exhaust noise. Very disappointing.

Went back home and took Sena advice by adding the velcro pads to the back of the speakers to get them closer to my ear itself. They are almost out so far they irritate my ears. Went out for another ride and did not find this mod to be much help whatsoever. I am not impressed and wish there was a way to get more wattage in this system so music and voices can be heard louder and not drowned out by wind and bike noise. I hope they let me return this thing for at least a merchandise credit of some sort, even though the sales rep said they cant do that with electronic items. WTF over?
    I didnt even hook up the other unit to my wifes helmet to try the intercom system, which was a primary idea when I bought this. Now I wonder if any other system has more volume to make this worth a swap of any sort.?

Needless to say I am not happy even though every review of this Sena SMH10 is off the charts. Yes it is easy to use with the jog wheel, I even changed tracks on the music with very simple touch/twist. But the volume is the main issue for me. Maybe I did end up losing some hearing between all the artillery, mortars, ied's and bombs over the course of my lifetime. Oh well. There is my reviews folks. Thanks for all your input and assistance!

11. Remove Advertisements
    Ducati Panigale Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.